Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Spring Fake

How many of you out there knew it was possible to get strep throat in your finger? And why didn't you warn the rest of us?

Like so many others, I had high hopes for the amount of work I would get done over Spring Break (which was last week). I tried not to let the freezing temperatures get the best of my attitude and I decided that I would, no matter what, feel good about catching up on some dissertation reading and organize the next few weeks worth of writing. The freezing temperatures didn't get the best of my attitude, but they still managed to get the best of me.

I came down with a wicked cold/flu thing on the very first day of break. I tried to get some work done, but the theraflu had taken over and I decided that I wouldn't be able to get any quality work done anyway, so why not just lay on the couch and sweat it out? Then, in a couple days I could hit the ground running and get some work done. The next day I noticed my finger was swollen almost twice its normal size.

Doctor does some tests. "Drains" my finger. And the next day the nurse calls to tell me I have strep throat.

Me: But my throat doesn't hurt. I have a cold, but I know what strep feels like and this isn't strep. My finger is what hurts.

Nurse: Well, then you've got the strep bacteria in your finger. You've got a bacterial infection.

Me: Awesome.

So I've been on antibiotics while still trying to catch up. I've been re-reading Sanchez's "The Function of Theory in Composition Studies" and have been trying to nail down what about it I'm reacting against. There's so much in his argument I can get behind, but there's this underlying feeling that I can't shake, one that says "where would Sanchez's writing take us...?" More later...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, strep is a killer virus. While it usually gets a good hold in warm, moist places like the throat, it can spread anywhere in the body. Not to be all "flesh-eating disease" crazy or anything, but my wife's brother died of a strep infection in the heart. While I dislike that we're being over-prescribed antibiotics, in cases like yours, its a good thing for amoxycillin!

Anonymous said...

I just got strep on my finger. I'm trying to find info on it online, but there doesn't seem to be much. I'm taking medication for it, but don't know if wearing a a bandaid will make the healing time longer.