Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I haven't blogged since when?!

...Since April!?

Damn.

Been knee deep in dissertation stuff, wondering what the view's gonna be like when I'm neck deep...

In the meantime, I recently finished Michael Jarrett's *Drifting on a Read: Jazz as a Model for Writing* and loved it. Here's the third paragraph:

"Elvis Costello once said in a remark now widely quoted, 'Writing about music is like dancing about architecture. It's a really stupid thing to want to do.' Costello's wit is notoriously barbed, which ensures that interviews with him are always thoroughly enjoyable. But his sentiments, echoing and extending Armstrong's ("Lady, if you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know"), are diametrically opposed to mine. First, as a side point, I'd jump at the chance to see dancing about architecture. Second, writing about music is hardly any more problematic than writing about any other subject."

He had me at "notoriously barbed."

2 comments:

Alist said...

any reference to elvis costello is good in my book

Adam Koehler said...

No kidding. I should revise: "He had me at Costello."