Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Western Greats

Back From Western States. Aside from learning the joys of Arizona’s cuisine (Peter’s curry left a lot for future meals to live up to), I also got a chance to see how a modest conference can do things that bigger conferences just can’t. (Even, to a certain degree, RSA). For example, the opportunity cost of going to panels isn’t as heavy. I felt more or less good about the panels I went to and didn’t end up ducking out to go to another panel. Also, it didn’t feel like I was studying for prelims when I read the schedule (an overwhelming feeling I still get at Cs). Easy access to presenters whose work I admired led to really great lunches and conversation. I could get used to it.

3 comments:

k8 said...

I prefer small conferences. The one I attended a few weeks ago had just two sessions going on at a time, 15 minute breaks between sessions, and an hour and a half lunch break. It was small, but there were plenty of opportunities to meet people and actually talk to them about their work. And really, isn't having an actual lunch break much more civilized than the Cs situation?

Unknown said...

You're back! And small conferences rock! They can do what conferences are supposed to do: get people talking with one another. Cs is far too cliquey. I don't mean that as a blanket condemnation, I'm just sayin'.

Adam Koehler said...

You're both right: having lunch certainly does feel a lot more civilized because its just people talking with people about stuff they love. No cliques.