Thursday, September 25, 2008

What's So Critical About Music?

A very wise writing professor once told me, "Its easy. Just write the stuff you'd want to read." Right, easy. Similarly, as a teacher, I find myself often trying to shape courses that I'd want to take. A lot more difficult than one would imagine. And yet Byron Hawk makes it look easy. This course seems to offer critical and literary analysis in a way my students here at MC have indicated as not just cool or fun, but as necessary and relevant - to the increasing ways in which rhetoric bleeds into our daily lives. As it does in music. Props to Hawk.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So true. Byron's class looks great. I'd love to take this. Hope NYC is treating you all well.

Anonymous said...

I go through similar issues. Right now I've become very concerned with independence... making a class to give my students independence to seek and evaluate knowledge as knowledge... as you put it... easier said than done!

I agree, that course looks interesting, wish we could peep more of it, execution is everything.

Audio visual hire said...

Very true saying given by that professor. Thank you for this post, I so absolutely have the same opinion! And it's very stimulating for me. I'm just functioning on my opinion with this issue.

noleggio plasma Milano said...

I just happened to come across your blog. Nice posts. I like this one very much. They are more content oriented than the usual ones you find these days. And the best part is the simplicity in your posts and the language you use in them. I have added you to my favorites. And I will continue to pay frequent visits to your blog. Expecting more such quality stuff from you.